FT: Herold surfaces

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Tue Dec 25 20:46:47 PST 2001

[This is so far the only cite of Herold's spreadsheet I've seen in what might count as a newspaper of record in the US, and in many ways it's the exception that proves the rule. Not only does it appear as a short note in the News Digest section, but the reporter, instead of being identified by name and city, is identifed by function in a way I don't think I've ever seen before as an attribution for a newspaper article: statistics editor. On the other hand, that kind of suggests that their best guy was unable to poke any holes in it and that's why they felt compelled to run it.

This unusual brandishing of credentials, especially in box defined as containing minutiae; and the literal marginalization of what they clearly consider a surprising contradiction of the central news narrative of our time -- this odd double proving and then hiding and apologizing for something that, in normal times, might reasonably qualify as a scoop -- seems like eloquently silent testimony to the power consensus exerts once it has formed.]

Financial Times; Dec 24, 2001

WAR ON TERRORISM: Afghan civilian death toll rises NEWS DIGEST:

By SIMON BRISCOE, Statistics Editor

Afghan civilian death toll rises

Civilian deaths in Afghanistan as a result of US bombing have now surpassed the latest estimated number of deaths in the terror attacks of September 11, according to research from an American academic.

Nearly 3,800 deaths are reported between October 7 and December 19, according to Professor Marc Herold of the University of New Hampshire. In contrast to the death toll in the US, civilian deaths in Afghanistan are rising.

Prof Herold has culled the information from news agencies, newspapers and first hand accounts. His report lists the number of casualties, location, type of weapon and source of information.

While he has tried to cross-corroborate the information, experts dealing with such estimates - and the military professionals conducting the attacks - say that the quality of the information must necessarily be mixed. Simon Briscoe, Statistics Editor http://pubpages.unh.edu/ mwherold/

Copyright: The Financial Times Limited 1995-1998