Respects to Stuart Adamson

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 26 02:03:12 PST 2001

WILLIAM STUART ADAMSON R.I.P.

Stuart Adamson (singer, songwriter, guitarist Big Country, Raphaels) was a champion of the working class, and he belonged to the left. Like Paul Weller (Jam, Style Council, solo) he put his politics where his music was, even if it cost him recognition in the U.S.

CJ

This from his label's site:

Stuart Adamson update posted by Ian Grant on 21/12/2001 STUART ADAMSON

Stuart Adamson, singer/songwriter and lead guitarist of Big Country, was found dead in his hotel room in Hawaii on December 16th 2001.

Stuart was born in Manchester on 11th April 1958 and was married, to Sandra and leaves behind two children Callum (19) and Kirsten (16)

The music world and his home town of Dunfermline have been stunned by the news. Tributes have been flooding in from all over the world in honour of this quiet, gentle man whose playing gave pleasure to millions.

Big Country sold in excess of 10 million albums world-wide and achieved 17 Top 30 singles and 10 Top 30 albums in the UK alone; they received two Grammy nominations, played concerts across the globe and made ground-breaking trips to Russia and Kosovo. Stuart did much for charity throughout his life and in 1988 was made a Patron of the Scottish Princes Trust. Last year he received a Lifetime Achievement Award for his services to the Scottish Music Industry from The Tartan Clef. (Nordoff Robins)

Arrangements are being made with Sir Richard Branson for Virgin Airlines to fly Stuart's body back to his native Dunfermline for a private family-only funeral. Both media and public are asked to respect this. A public memorial service will be held early next year. “Since Richard signed The Skids when Stuart was a mere teenager and Big Country were with Virgin Music Publishing for their entire career, it’s a typical and very appropriate kind gesture of Richard “ said manager Ian Grant. The Memorial Service will be held at Stuarts beloved East End Park, home of The Pars ? Dunfermline Athletic FC. The service will be in January. All friends and fans will be welcome. Details will be releases as soon as they are finalised.

Ian Grant who managed Stuart for 22 years has already paid tribute to one of his longest and closest friends calling it “an honour” to have known and worked with him. The Adamson family wish to release the following short statement:

“Stuart was our beloved son. To say we are devastated can't describe how we feel. It is impossible to find the words to express this terrible sense of loss. We pray that he has found the peace he was looking for.

We are very grateful for the many, many messages of sympathy that we have received from his fellow musicians, friends and his fans. We know Stuart would have been overwhelmed. Our world will never be the same.”

Family flowers only please but if desired donations are requested to be made to either of the following charities

Stuart Adamson Fund Alzheimer Scotland - Action on Dementia 22 Drumsheugh Gardens Edinburgh EH3 7RN Tel 0131 243 1453

Online donations can be made via the site but please specify 'Stuart Adamson Fund', donations by credit card can also be made over the telephone on the number above. Cheques made payable to Alzheimer Scotland - Action on Dementia should be sent to the above address.

&

Children's Hospice Association Scotland (CHAS) Website address is www.chas.org.uk where people can make credit card donations or donations can be sent direct (cheques payable to CHAS) at the address listed below and on their website.