Egypt bans flogging in jails

Peter K. peterk at enteract.com
Wed Dec 26 17:09:11 PST 2001

Chuck G.:
>Yes, I got up to about that part of Empire. But you know, you
have to
>have worked in something like NGOs or community service projects
>see how close to an accurate assessment the concept of mendicant
order
>is to the realities.
>
>The conceptual function is something like the humanitarian
pretense of
>volunteer organizations. For example the Bush administration
response
>to the WTC victims was to hand them off to an ad hoc volunteer
>effort---almost literally a mendicant order. That's how much the
US
>govt gave a shit.

The Bush administration is a national entity, whilst the NGOs under discussion are international. Since there is no international government, they'll have to do. I think you're mixing apples and oranges. But yes, privitization is all the rage.

I would be interested to learn about the political economy that led to the banning of flogging in Egyptian jails. According to the story Ulhas posted, the practice was suspended last year by the Interior Ministry of what is in essence a dictatorship. Did Western (imperial) NGOs play a part? I would think it would be a good thing, at least for Egyptian prisoners but maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm missing the "big picture." You would think if Western Imperialism is baring its teeth as has been proposed, such an important client state, one that receives so much foreign aid, would be moving in the other direction. Maybe the bourgeoisie is just trying to confuse us?

Peter, who apologizes for the excessive sarcasm today. I'll be better.