Egypt bans flogging in jails

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Wed Dec 26 18:04:40 PST 2001

"Peter K." wrote:

> I would be interested to learn about the political economy that
> led to the banning of flogging in Egyptian jails. According
> to the story Ulhas posted, the practice was suspended last
> year by the Interior Ministry of what is in essence a
> dictatorship. Did Western (imperial) NGOs play a part? I would
> think it would be a good thing, at least for Egyptian
> prisoners but maybe I'm missing something. Or maybe I'm missing
> the "big picture." You would think if Western Imperialism
> is baring its teeth as has been proposed, such an important
> client state, one that receives so much foreign aid, would be
> moving in the other direction. Maybe the bourgeoisie is just
> trying to confuse us?

Why? Your sarcasm has to assume that your hypothetical opponent recognizes no contingency in the world. Beyond that, I think what I posted recently on the AUT list is relevant:

**** Subject: Re: AUT: WHy did the capitalist class ban Mein Kampf?

Date: Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:29:58 -0600

Michael Handelman wrote:

> In a recent decision, Indigo books (the biggest book
> chain in Canada) decided to ban Mein Kampf.
>
> What do you think this means?
>
> I'm curious as to the capitalist class's motivations
> behind banning Mein Kampf...

You confuse the capitalist class with the computer HAL. Probably the "Capitalist Class" isn't even aware that Indigo Books exists.

Carrol*****

I indulged myself in the pleasure of not responding to a poster who wanted to know what HAL was. It is quite possible that "Imperialism" has never heard of flogging in the Egyptian jails (or its suspension).

Carrol

> Peter, who apologizes for the excessive sarcasm today. I'll be
> better.

Re: AUT: WHy did the capitalist class ban Mein Kampf?

Sat, 22 Dec 2001 11:29:58 -0600

Carrol Cox <cbcox at ilstu.edu>

aut-op-sy at lists.village.virginia.edu