Respects to Stuart Adamson

Charles Jannuzi jannuzi at edu00.f-edu.fukui-u.ac.jp
Wed Dec 26 19:09:24 PST 2001

Re: Respects to Stuart Adamson

>>Arrangements are being made with Sir Richard Branson for Virgin
>>Airlines to fly Stuart's body back to his native Dunfermline for a
>>private family-only funeral. Both media and public are asked to >>respect
this.

Peter K. <peterk at enteract.com> comments:

>Isn't Branson a money-grubbing capitalist tycoon?

I guess he is, but at least he appears to have a sense of humour. I wasn't paying respects to Richard Branson, so the turn of this thread is bizarre to say the least, even for LBO Talk--but I'm glad you hang on every word I post waiting for a chance to say something Peter (or in the case of some, is that for the bugs to fly out of their assholes, or something?).

BTW, after Stuart and his first group the Skids signed with Branson's Virgin label, they did a song titled 'Working for the Yankee Dollar', but the chorus also went 'Working for the Virgin Dollar'. Actually the hippies at Virgin, the chief one being Branson, made huge money off sales of Brian Oldfield (the guy with the tubular bells on the Exorcist soundtrack) and the totally different Sex Pistols (since A&M and EMI dropped them), but in the case of the latter it was not from sales in the US (at least not at first, since the Sex Pistols didn't collect a US platinum record for 'Never Mind the Bollocks' until something like 15 years after it was released). As the late, great and much missed Joey Ramone said about the cultural conservatism of the US, "America played it safe, America always plays it safe."

Charles Jannuzi