Respects to Joey Ramone, but

virgil tibbs sheik_of_encino at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 27 12:25:52 PST 2001

Should we not celebrate jazz as art form because so much of it emerged from the poverty caused by overt racism and ultimately, from a brutish capitalism? I am proud to be an American if I get to call Miles Davis, John Coltrane, Duke Ellington, my brothers. Certainly, I am not proud of what a white nation did to an entire race (races), though, unfortunately, it is part of my American legacy as well.

The point I was making is that America's cultural tastes, whether those of the predominantly black artists or the predominanttly white audience, were not "playing it safe" when confronted by the artistic explosion that was swing, be-bop, free jazz, fusion (my apologies to Pat Metheny), etc. Just because America didn't go hogwild over the Ramones and Sex Pistols does not mean that the nation's cultural tastes are stunted.