Respects to Joey Ramone, but

ravi gadfly at home.com
Fri Dec 28 07:58:48 PST 2001

virgil tibbs wrote:

> The point I was making is that America's cultural
> tastes, whether those of the predominantly black
> artists or the predominanttly white audience, were not
> "playing it safe" when confronted by the artistic
> explosion that was swing, be-bop, free jazz, fusion
> (my apologies to Pat Metheny), etc. Just because
> America didn't go hogwild over the Ramones and Sex
> Pistols does not mean that the nation's cultural
> tastes are stunted.

i see your point. was jazz in its various forms really popular during the jazz age or was it the casting of big band jazz as swing or other dance music that brought about its acceptance among a larger (and white) audience?

i don't know how this relates to LBO, but i will wait for doug to admonish me if it doesn't,

--ravi