Subject: Re: Hitch loves you

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Dec 31 16:48:02 PST 2001

Christopher Rhoades Dÿkema wrote:

> Couldn't agree more with Nathan --
>
> > I think the mindless sloganeering
> > sustituting for concrete analysis of the present sitution after S11 was one
> > of the most depressing things I have experienced in years. We lost the
> > debate on the war and even more on the peace, because the public analysis of
> > the "peace movement" was so disconnected from the reality experienced by the
> > general population that they tuned it out.

This is bizarre to the nth degree. There never _was_ any debate to win or lose, nor was there any chance whatever of there being any debate to win or lose. Nathan, Do you have to spend time thinking these sorts of things up, or do they just arise spontaneously, like methane from rotting vegetation?

I find it hard to believe in the good faith of anyone who, speaking of a battle, say, between and armored division and a kindergarten boys choir, claims that the only reason the boys lost was because they chose the wrong strategy. It is either unbelievably ignorant or unbelievably malevolent to suggest that there existed any strategy or set of tactics whatever by which the "peace movement" could have affected the public debate or government policy in the short run (meaning the period from Sept. 11 2001 to around July 2005).

Carrol