Subject: Re: Hitch loves you

Max B. Sawicky sawicky at bellatlantic.net
Mon Dec 31 19:46:18 PST 2001

> > I think the mindless sloganeering
> > sustituting for concrete analysis of the present sitution after S11 was
one
> > of the most depressing things I have experienced in years. We lost the
> > debate on the war and even more on the peace, because the public
analysis of
> > the "peace movement" was so disconnected from the reality experienced by
the
> > general population that they tuned it out.

This is bizarre to the nth degree. There never _was_ any debate to win or lose . . .

mbs: without doubt, the military mission was going to happen. What might have gone differently is that the peace movement might have made a more credible case and become better positioned to affect future, less plausible interventions.