Empire: Hardt responds

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Sun Feb 4 07:25:02 PST 2001

Hey, "The Road Warrior" was awesome. Great plot which shows that the community is more important than any individual, tremendous effects, and that sound-track -- the scenes with the Wolf Child alone are priceless. Humongous is one of the great video depictions of a faceless, rapacious capitalism, which has outgrown its military-industrial pedigree and taken on a new and highly allegorical kind of mask, and faces off against Mel's premonitory cyberpunk info-guerilla. Very progressive, compared to Cameron's neoconservative "Terminator" or Scott's wishy-washy "Blade Runner".

mbs: Wha? I can see the communal/greater good theme well enough. But Humongous as capitalism? I would say pre-capitalist (pre-feudal, actually). Hunter/ gatherer is more like it; hierarchical (like the good guys), but not exactly consensus-seeking. And not without a certain joie de vivre, which is interesting. The real capitalism image is Tina Turner's Thunderdome ("Bust a deal, face the wheel.")

And where is the 'info-guerilla'? "Info"?

I'll leave Blade Runner alone, which I also love (Robot girl, robot girl . . . ), alone, but in re: Terminator there is a major anti-biz theme in terms of the explanation of the collapse of civilization -- the business- engineered takeover of machines. This doesn't have much to do with the action, but insofar as there is a politics, albeit an insipid one, I would not call it neo-conservative.

mbs