Empire: Hardt responds

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Mon Feb 5 05:15:14 PST 2001

On Sun, 4 Feb 2001, Max Sawicky wrote:

> well enough. But Humongous as capitalism? I would
> say pre-capitalist (pre-feudal, actually).

Those are the labels, but the thing is a clever postmodern allegory disguised as prehistory. Max drives the truck spray-painted "Earth", tries to cop out as an individual, gets waxed, finally faces off against Humongous who drives the speedster, a pretty devastating retake of the 1970s trucker comedies/road movies.

> And where is the 'info-guerilla'? "Info"?

In the sense of this uncanny control over physical space, which is straight out of the chopsocky Hong Kong classics. Max's ally is Rotor Dude, the prototypical tech geek. He knows enough to duck the snakes, wire his car to explode, etc. (as Rotor says at one point, "a smart man... a quick man"). Also note the wind-up children's toy, a great nod in the direction of reproducible sound (like a gear-driven Walkman). Hey, I teach this stuff for a living!

-- Dennis