cameras at Super Bowl

Dennis dperrin13 at mediaone.net
Sun Feb 4 19:05:19 PST 2001

Chuck 0 wrote

> That's funny, aren't all major sports about branding and gratification?

Of course; but there are many "social" attachments -- the United Way, to use one NFL charitable tie-in. The XFL doesn't pretend to care about any of that. And for that honesty, I commend Vince McMahon.

> Judging from last night, it seems that the XFL will feature some fairly
> good football. The players aren't NFL has-beens and castoffs; they seem
> to mostly be recent college players who couldn't make the NFL.

"Good football"? Well, I suppose if you televise a backyard game among teens there might be some excitement there too. But come on. Most of these guys aren't even cast-offs and wannabe pros: they are guys who were so-so in the Arena League, and did some time in NFL Europe and the CFL. Indeed, the CFL is far better than this league. And judging from the first two games, I'd put the USFL above it as well.

> I don't see how the XFL ties into what you call "violent gratification."
> I've noticed that politically correct observers often mistake football
> physicality for violence. If you want violence, I suggest major league
> baseball which has fights that feature players swinging fists at each
> other, with no padding.

Please. Football is all about violent gratification. I've enjoyed football for over thirty years based on this primal lust. Again, the XFL merely tries to crank up the volume: no fair catch, no coin-toss -- two opposing players must race and wrestle for the ball to determine who kicks off? I mean, get with it Chuck.

As for baseball, it was a far more violent game 50, 70, 100 years ago, but, yes, it does have bench-clearing brawls and bean balls and all the rest. But the NHL and NBA have long surpassed MLB in the violence department.

> One of the important things that the XFL might do, if it ends up
> becoming the minor league for the NFL, is shatter the charade that are
> NCAA-controlled sports. If the XFL becomes viable, talented guys will
> simply skip college--where they don't get paid and aren't even allowed
> to work part-time jobs--in favor of a league which pays them at least
> something for their labors.

"Charade"? What serious sports observer thinks there remains some cloak over the corrupt features of college sports? It's a given. The only way the XFL will become a viable alternative to the NFL is if it ultimately meets the level of NFL play, as did the AFL. Until then, it's an offshoot of the WWF, nothing more.

DP