Liberte, Egalite, Fraternite

Dennis Robert Redmond dredmond at efn.org
Tue Feb 6 04:14:52 PST 2001

A product of the EU's multinational video culture, and not simply a composite of its national film traditions. Wrote a little essay on this at: <http://www.efn.org/~dredmond/GV.html> and click on Chapter 5.

> And there is a larger historical-cultural issue working here where
> virtually every art form of advanced modernity evaporated almost
> simultaneously, from jazz and painting to film and fiction during a
> slow motion disappearing act in the 1970s.

Yep, this is what litcritters call the postmodern turn -- modernism, the aesthetic forms of monopoly capitalism, was replaced by postmodernism, the aesthetic forms of multinational capitalism. Monopoly capitalism is still around and kicking, but it's now integrated into a very different system. The Tricoleur is full of references to modernist forms, from Hitchcock's voyeur to Kubrick's symmetrical framing, but its content is state-of-the-art, 1990s stuff.

-- Dennis