telecom dereg in NY

Michael Pollak mpollak at panix.com
Wed Feb 7 13:08:26 PST 2001

I just read where Billy Tauzin, the repug point man on telecom deregulation in the House, says that the two states the FCC okayed for local competition, New York and Texas, are models for the rest of the country. As he puts it, "once people knew approval was coming, local competition took off like a rocket." Somehow I missed this. I don't believe I've gotten so much as a single piece of junk mail offering me an alternative local phone provider. Does anyone know the names of these supposed hotrocket competitors? Or is this just a Big Lie?

Michael