delinking does not equal autarchy

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Thu Feb 8 11:34:02 PST 2001

Patrick Bond wrote:

>Doug, you've elided the central strategic questions with this reply
>(so too do Hardt/Negri). What concrete instruments and tangible
>political processes do you want to propose, given that your
>preferred scale of politics is global? And what are the power
>relations you're going to have contend with there?

We're only beginning to think these things through, but like I said last week before taking my private jet to Germany, some examples/prefigurations include: "Seattle," Porto Alegre, the World Bank bond boycott, student-worker solidarity (through the anti-sweatshop movement), the anti-MAI mobilization, independent union organizing, cross-border labor solidarity, immigration amnesty movements.... - many of which are driving the bourgeoisie mad. Remember Larry "Fathead" Summers celebrating the fact that "many of the leaders" of A16 had "proactively" been arrested, apparently not realizing that there really weren't any such creatures? There are fascinating new organizational forms and ways of doing politics here; I don't know where it's all going, but it's worth a shot.

Also, the great fuck yous of the 1970s, when workers kicked back, called in sick, sabotaged the boss's machinery, etc. were great moments, that also had the bourgeoisie beside itself. What's needed is for those often isolated and informal gestures of resistance to become more organized and conscious.

I'm enough of a realist to know that states aren't going away, and that in some cases they can be helpful even. But, still, I hate 'em on a gut level, and so do lots of other people. So I'm looking for ways around the state, which essentially relies on coercion and exclusion.

Doug