Tasteless site

Tony B. oldfart at networkidl.net
Sun Feb 11 04:03:29 PST 2001

The English king who said "will no one rid me of this turbulent priest" whereupon two knights set out and assassinated the archbishop in his own church! ----- Original Message ----- From: "Christopher Susi" <chris at susi.net> To: <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Sent: Sunday, February 11, 2001 2:14 AM Subject: RE: Tasteless site

> Should Charles Manson be set free? He didn't kill anyone (AFAIK) he only
> manipulated others into doing it. And what of the rappers who write songs
> to encourage the youth to go out and kill cops? If somebody cites that as
> the sole or (more-likely) major influence that caused them to kill a cop,
> should that "musician" be held blameless?
>
> Where is the line between "Ordering" somebody to commit a crime and
> "Suggesting" it? If a mob boss orders somebodies death, are they guilty
of
> that murder? If you actively call and incite people for the assasination
of
> the president, and the president is assasinated based on your speech, are
> you not culpable? Failed revolution is caused treason - and is punishable
by
> death. When does that line get crossed into artistic freedom?
>
> You want to have the freedom of speech, but be held blameless for any
> ramifications of what you say. I wholeheatedly agree with you in part -
> that one should have the freedom to say what they want. However they also
> must be held accountable for the actions set in motion as a result of
their
> actions.
>
> Similarly, you have the freedom and the right to own and use a gun.
However
> you must be held accountable for the results of your use of that right.
If