Not a (Re: Electricity Crisis) but a capital crisis

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Mon Feb 12 13:21:34 PST 2001

>Date: Sat, 10 Feb 2001 23:18:04 -0800 (PST)
>From: Jordan Hayes <jmhayes at j-o-r-d-a-n.com>
>Subject: Re: Electricity Crisis
> > Why doesn't California--a
> > nd everyone else--take advantage of solar power?

How about: We already have sufficient North American generating capacity. But the capitalists (Enron, etc.) won't distribute it without making their superprofit. Suggesting alternatives in this context completely misunderstands this.

But no, we're all supposed to be striving for California energy autarchy in an "era of globalization". That line is especially being swallowed here in S.V., whose technogensia have suddenly forgotten the marvels of AC current transmission, which allowed California to purchase electricity from Canada a month back (obviously at competitive prices, other why purchase?), for example. It's the biggest load of crap to pass these parts (so to speak) in a long time. Again, suggesting energy alternatives in this context is to implicitly (even if unconsciously) accept this line.

In reality, the State of California is trying to gain some market leverage by building (perhaps) State controlled excess capacity that will kick in during daily "peak usage". This will add to the already existing overcapacity in power generation. Thus we will have another fine example of capitalist market misallocation and waste, this time driven forward by the capitalist state. If the state drive to add further to over-accumulation is successful, profits will fall again, perhaps launching another round of state-driven "crisis creation and solution".

-Brad Mayer Oakland,CA
>Is this a troll?
Must be, it's getting responses...