Murray on prole models

Carrol B Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Mon Feb 12 13:50:17 PST 2001

Carl Remick wrote:

> Most contemporary music now seems to me utterly synthetic, mere
> sludge excreted by corporations -- about as transgressive as the Financial
> Accounting Standards Board.

This is what the great [not ironic] marxist cultural critic C Caudwell said about jazz. Pound's opinion of jazz seemed to be similar. But Pound was pretty good on this sort of nostalgia:

and the laudatores temporis acti

claiming that the sh-t used to be blacker and richer

(Canto XV)

carrol

p.s. But doug's intro was only a bit less silly than the column: "It wouldn't surprise me if a few leftists agreed with some of this." Substitute ANY agent noun for "leftists" & ANY belief for "this" and the proposition remains true. Doug wants to know where i learned to be so charming. I learned it from endless exposure to stupid tautologies written by bright people.