Slick Willie heads uptown

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Tue Feb 13 12:18:33 PST 2001

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. wrote:

> Hey, I'm teaching Urban Economics right now.
>I am aware that Harlem has a long way to go in
>terms of gentrification. But, I have no doubt that
>Slick Willie will end up in one of the gentrifying
>sections, if not already fully gentrified.

Well, yeah, it's in the empowerment zone he helped create. Starbucks, Disney - and earlier, the Cuomo/Dinkins attempts to use the Apollo Theater as a gentry magnet. Word is that some adventurous white gay male couples are moving into some other upscaling areas. But like I said, it's got a long long way to go.

Neil Smith has done some fine work on the planned gentrification of Harlem (a further reminder of how the bourgeoisie really plans for the long term). It's going to take quite a few more real estate cycles, if it's ever going to work, though.

Doug