Slick Willie heads uptown

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Tue Feb 13 12:52:34 PST 2001

Doug,

Actually, it is amazing how rapidly gentrification can happen in the right circumstances. Harlem has one of the prime prerequisites, a lot of nice architecture in those brownstones that were once the estates of the wealthy back before the "Rich Man's Panic" of 1907 that brought us the Federal Reserve.

A classic example is Georgetown in Washington, D.C. It is now widely forgotten that for over a century, being the oldest part of the city (having predated the city's existence), it was the most rundown and was the main black ghetto. That changed in the 1930s when the incoming FDR New Dealers thought the colonial architecture was cute and began moving in and gentrifying. I understand that there are still nine black families who own houses in now very upscale Georgetown who did so prior to the 1930s gentrification wave.

We are talking discontinuous social dynamics, the kind discussed in my book (first edition, chapter 10), the one that Yoshie does not think much of. Barkley Rosser -----Original Message----- From: Doug Henwood <dhenwood at panix.com> To: lbo-talk at lists.panix.com <lbo-talk at lists.panix.com> Date: Tuesday, February 13, 2001 3:32 PM Subject: Re: Slick Willie heads uptown