my book

J. Barkley Rosser, Jr. rosserjb at jmu.edu
Wed Feb 14 11:41:16 PST 2001

Since the issue of my book and its cost was a topic of discussion when I showed back up on the list (sorry to catch you offguard, Yoshie), I thought I would make a few further points. First of all, we are talking about, I believe, _From Catastrophe to Chaos: A General Theory of Economic Discontinuities_, the first edition of which was published in 1991 by Kluwer Academic Publishers, Boston/Dordrecht/London.

The second edition is coming out in three volumes. Volume I, subtitled, _Mathematics, Microeconomics, Macroeconomics, and Finance, came out last year from the same publisher. Volume II will focus on urban/regional/ ecological/environmental issues. Volume III will focus on international and transition economy issues. Again, I apologize for the high price over which I have no control.

However, those of you with university connections should be able to get it, one version or the other, through interlibrary loan. Also, Chapter 2 of the second edition, the main mathematics chapter, is up on my website without figures. It is listed there under "The Mathematics of Discontinuity." Also, the references for Volume I of the second edition are up on my website. I realize that these will not be of interest to many of you. But for those who want the lowdown on the math of chaos and complexity theory, there it is for free.

BTW, the first edition was rejected by 13 publishers before Kluwer accepted it. So, Yoshie is not alone in her opinion of my work. Barkley Rosser Professor of Economics James Madison University website: http://cob.jmu.edu/rosserjb email: rosserjb at jmu.edu