my book

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Wed Feb 14 12:39:30 PST 2001

Jr. wrote>>
> Since the issue of my book and its cost was
> a topic of discussion when I showed back up on
> the list (sorry to catch you offguard, Yoshie), I thought
> I would make a few further points.
*******

Barkley, I was the one making the complaint about cost :-( Anyway, why would 13 publishers reject your stuff? Do they consider it too subversive and thus don't want it accessible to the unwashed masses if it were affordable? The genre of chaos does well in other disciplines at pretty decent prices, why should economics texts be a holdout and why don't more economists use chaotic modeling/narratives? I got the reference to Machover and Farjoun's work from the Amariglio and Ruccio essay in "Why Economists Disagree" and found the piece interesting enough to try and find the work. Is chaos as a social ontology/political economy too much of a taboo in the econ. profession; a fear of the a-rational and/or irrational in social life emerging from a misreading of human agency by rational choice theorists etc?

Ian