Catherine, can't you read? was Re: No Sex Please - We'rePost-Human!

Catherine Driscoll catherine.driscoll at adelaide.edu.au
Sun Feb 18 07:47:31 PST 2001

Kelley writes in response to Carrol:

> Social bio relations in the
> world also
> involve concepts in our head. Those concepts are real, they have
> real
> effects and they are the result of real, material processes in the
> world.
> do I actually have to dredge up Marx here on the difference
> betweens ants
> and architects?

> >not social biological relations in the world. Perhaps you actually
> >can't read a materialist argument.

I'll freely confess I have no idea what Carrol means by claiming this. I assume it must be something more than it seems -- ie. that I disagree with him.

> >That would explain the strange
> >doctrine Doug ascribes to you that questions are ontologically
> prior to
> >affirmations.
>
> i think you've got that backwards. The famous quip goes something
> like, "I
> haven't found the right answers to ask my questions"

I find it odd to have been held to this in such a way, but I'll confess I have no idea, Carrol, how what you're now ascribing to me explains what you previously ascribe to me. I'm trying to decide if I think there was in fact any ontological claim in that statement about method.

I'll think on it... it's late, I'm tired, there are abdominal exercise contraptions on television. I'll hope to get back to you all tomorrow.

Catherine