spineless pinko's update

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 19 21:22:32 PST 2001

>On Mon, 19 Feb 2001, Yoshie Furuhashi wrote:
>
>> A "well-established religious tolerance"? That contradicts your
>> earlier argument:
>
>No. One was a comparison of the 18th century to the 20th. The other was a
>comparison of two different societies in the 18th. Religious tolerance in
>the 18th century America meant one was free to choose what dissenting sect
>one wanted to belong to, or to make up one's own. That's a lot freer than
>being compelled to belong to a single state church, as in most other
>countries of the time, including France. But it seems soaked in religion
>when compared to the same nation two centuries later, when there are no
>consequences to being entirely indifferent to religion's existence.
>
>Michael

Provided you aren't an abortionist, born in religious households, surrounded by pious co-workers, stuck in an abstinence-only "sex education" class, etc., there are little apparent consequences to being entirely indifferent to religion's existence, you mean. The state in the modern world is not the main enforcer of religious conservatism, it seems to me; in Sweden, legal ties between the state and the Church of Sweden, the Lutheran majority church, were not cut until January 1, 2000. And yet who can deny that Sweden has been more secular than the USA for a long time, even though "the dominant Lutheran churches in Sweden, Norway and Denmark have long been connected to -- and hold special status with -- the state. Lutheran priests have their salary and pension guaranteed by the state, the head of state is a member of the Lutheran church..." (at <http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2000/151/15.0.html>)?

We've ranged all over the place in this thread, but may I return to my initial remarks here: "According to Finke & Stark, the free market in religion promotes the growth of upstart sectarians. The story can't be as simple & linear as Finke & Stark make it out to be, but might the USA be more secular today if the Framers had established the State Church?"

Yoshie