delinking does not equal autarky (J O'Connor)

Carrol Cox cbcox at ilstu.edu
Sun Feb 18 13:14:10 PST 2001

Doug Henwood wrote:

> Ok, I see. The task is absolutely essential, but we have no idea how
> to go about it, until certain unspecified conditions change in
> unspecified ways as the result of unspecified causes.

That's about it. Your post reveals the voluntarism of much political thought that can't learn from Lenin. You are demanding that we claim prophetic rather than analytic power. Those conditions are not only unspecified, they are in material reality _at this time_ unspecifiable. The analogue for claiming otherwise are those ads for Free Psychic Readings in the back of _TV Guide_. I think Marxists should exercise a minimal honesty in their claims of what they know.

Carrol

Carrol