delinking does not equal autarky (J O'Connor)

Doug Henwood dhenwood at panix.com
Sun Feb 18 13:25:46 PST 2001

Carrol Cox wrote:

>That's about it. Your post reveals the voluntarism of much political
>thought that can't learn from Lenin. You are demanding that we claim
>prophetic rather than analytic power. Those conditions are not only
>unspecified, they are in material reality _at this time_ unspecifiable.
>The analogue for claiming otherwise are those ads for Free Psychic
>Readings in the back of _TV Guide_. I think Marxists should exercise a
>minimal honesty in their claims of what they know.

I'm learning so much. Involuntarism is much to be preferred to voluntarism. So we just kick back, open a beer (oh, no, we have to be good ascetics, sorry), wait for some spontaneous uprising, then go try to claim leadership of it because we're so much more profound and disciplined than the spontaneists. In the meanwhile, what?

Doug