delinking does not equal autarky (J O'Connor)

LeoCasey at aol.com LeoCasey at aol.com
Sun Feb 18 15:56:05 PST 2001

> I suppose it depends on who you mean by 'we', but bear in mind that US
> workers already are the decisive force in US society, whose activities are
> its activities. The barrier to assuming actual control over processes that
> are already in substance the actions of working people is a matter of
> overcoming the ideological barriers to their realisation. Even the power of
> the state is at root the alienated power of the
> working class. Sadly, I have to say that if Britain's National Health
> Service is your model, that this is a clear model of alienated labour, in
> which the instinct for human solidarity is perverted into the conditions of
> gross exploitation.
>
> - --

In other words, as soon as those dumb workers overcome their false consciousness, all will be well. Now that is a political strategy which has stood the test of time, hasn't it?

Leo Casey United Federation of Teachers 260 Park Avenue South New York, New York 10010-7272 (212-598-6869)

Power concedes nothing without a demand. It never has, and it never will. If there is no struggle, there is no progress. Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation are men who want crops without plowing the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its waters. -- Frederick Douglass --