Anti-Semitism of Certain Famous Economists

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Mon Feb 19 12:15:30 PST 2001

The remarks of Schumpeter are very dismaying. Keynes' vile attitudes are of course well-known, and, as Doug says, characteristic of his class and milieu. I do not think that Hayek's comment even pushes the envelope. I can understand how someone might resent being such out of conversation on a subject matter. If that is the worst thing he can be stuck with in over 80 years, he was no anti-Semite. I am not sure that any of this has any implications for the economics of any of these figures. The political views, yes: as Doug says, Keynes' attitudes reflect the elite clubbishness of the self-appointed Masters of Mankind; Schumpeter's, those of Lueger's Vienna transposed to Harvard of the Jew quota era. It's good that he kept that stuff to himself. Hayek emerges with honor: his libertarianism, although hateful in its attitude towards the poor, is consistent in rejecting racism and other pseudo-natural-hierarchies,a further tribute to the real if limited virtues of classical liberalism. --jks