Fwd: Re: Hello! [Yahoo! Clubs: Church of Freethought]

matt hogan matt.hogan at lycos.com
Mon Feb 19 12:11:31 PST 2001

--

--------- Forwarded Message ---------

DATE: Sun, 18 Feb 2001 19:34:07 From: deonawomack2000 <clubs-mail at yahoo-inc.com> To: matt.hogan at mailcity.com

Hi, Tom: One of my favorite books on the subject of morality is The Moral Sense by James Q. Wilson. In the author's view, we all start off with a predisposition to develop two moral qualities, empathy for others and a sense of justice. Unless a child is abused, these qualities appear at a very early age. Properly nurtured, they flower into a mature moral perspective. Another fascinating book that I just finished reading is Humanity: A Moral History of the 20th Century by Jonathan Glover, which examines the horrors of the last century (in that regard it's not an easy book to read) with a view toward finding ways to avoid those horrors. Glover's thesis is similar to Wilson's. He says that we innately have what he calls the "moral responses" of respect for the dignity of others and sympathy for others. He also talks about the "moral identity", which means our view of ourselves and what we would not do, stealing or parking in a handicapped space, for example, because we do not res! pect people who do such things. What I liked about both books is that they approach morality from a purely secular standpoint. Glover, an Englishman, even starts off his book by saying, now that religion is losing its hold on the human imagination, we have to think about morality in new ways. Of course, an American would not have that view. I highly recommend both books and think morality is a very interesting topic. I hope you enjoy your visit to Dallas. Best wishes, Deona.

--------------------------------------------- DO NOT REPLY TO THIS MESSAGE BY EMAIL! --------------------------------------------- You have chosen to receive messages from "Church of Freethought" by email.

Return to "Church of Freethought": http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/churchoffreethought ----------------------------------------------