marxism on wgn-fm

Lisa & Ian Murray seamus at accessone.com
Tue Feb 20 13:19:52 PST 2001

Quibble time:

>>> delong at econ.Berkeley.EDU - 2/20/01 11:16 AM >>>
Well, if we want to compare apples with apples, I would suggest the following taxonomy of economies:

A. Centrally-Planned Economies B. Plan-Heavy Economies with Some Worker Control C. Social-Market Economies D. Free-Market Economies

********

If you're dealing with actual economies, then you forgot:

E. Corporate Planning economy

And the following taxonomy of polities:

1. Pure Totalitarian Terror 2. Authoritarian Dictatorship 3. Oligarchic Politics 4. Party-Centered Mass Politics 5. Media-Centered Mass Politics 6. A Free Society of Associated Producers

We have lots of examples of A1 and A3. We have one example (Yugoslavia) of B2. I will defer to others as to whether pre-1989 Hungary counts as B3 and whether China today is B3 or C3. We certainly have examples of C1 and lots of examples of C2, D2, C3, and D3. And we have some examples of C4, C5, D4, and D5.

But damned if I can think of an example of A4, B4, A5, or B5 (with the caveat that Nicaragua or Chile *might* have been able to develop into one if left alone).

And I see no examples of 6.

All in all, I think--following Roberto M. Unger--that the links between economic systems and political possibilities are not as strong as we usually imagine. But I don't doubt that the links are there, and that I don't understand them.

Brad DeLong

You forgot:

E3

E3 describes [incompletely] the US economy with it's ecocide in slow motion proclivities and it's protection racket duopolistic kakistocracy with no mass politics. You give anti-realism a bad name.

For the record Brad, a free market is a legal contradiction in terms due to the impossibility of a neutral "liberal" state [see Arrow, 1963 or Young, 1990]. Why do you insist on such sophomoric ways of looking at our world. If a student handed that stuff in on a test would you give him/her an A, B, C, D, F?

Ian