HST on NASCAR Death

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Wed Feb 21 06:28:24 PST 2001

This article sooo nails it! Maybe it's a little naive to believe motor racing hasn't always had a necessary component of imminent (and immanent) death'n'destruction about it, but that's still a quantum leap away from building the death'n'destruction into the sport's very infrastructure. Reminds me of one fine distinction between a generic commercial transaction (ie anywhere and any time) and a specifically capitalist one - in the latter instance, the thing sold is solely and specifically made to be sold. If death used to be piquant part of the spectrum of possibility in motor racing, it is now on its way to becoming the thing you get for your entry fee.

By the way, I'm not sure I'd heard of the late Mr Earnhardt. The non-Yancqui (ie. greater) part of the media-accessed world went equally sombre and thoughtful about the fatal shunt of a Formula One driver called Ayrton Senna about five years back - supposed to be the best ever. Anyone stateside ever heard of him? Funny thing about formula one - most of the tracks don't encourage overtaking at all (fair dinkum, you wouldn't get a Beetle into third around that Monaco street circuit), and one brand of conveyance usually dominates, as, usually, does one driver (these days it's a German called Michael Schumacher) - so it's got very little in the way of sport's virtue going for it. Yet it's HUGE. And they've made that safer than the Canberra Show bumper cars.

The pulling power seems to be in the noise (all petrol-heads love the noise) and the pheromones emanating from all those Marks'n'Francs. Me, I used to prefer it coz the winner never has to rabbit on about the Lawd Gard's part in a bunch of donks negotiating a stretch of concrete ... now I prefer it because the gladiators don't have to die to afford the event its raison d'etre.

Cheers, Rob.