'Privatization' train jus keeps on rollin'

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Fri Feb 23 10:09:40 PST 2001

For those with illusions about "asian-style capitalism's" ability to resist imperial edicts (see below). Actually (and ironically) it is the bad stock market that's doing the 'resisting'. But my own view of this accords with that of B. Kagarlitsky in "The Twilight of Globalization":

"During the 1980s and 1990s the scale of state intervention in economic, social and cultural life has not diminished, but on the contrary has grown. Deregulation" - and I would also add, privatization - "is also a form of interventionism, albeit a perverted one. Now, however, this intervention has been aimed at destroying the public sector, at reducing living standards and at removing customs barriers. Practice shows that keeping markets open demands no less activity from governments than protectionism. All that happens is a restructuring of the government apparatus and a change of priorities, as argued in an article in Nezavisimaya Gazeta.":

'However paradoxical it may seem, under the conditions of the market economy the administrative globalism of the Russian government sometimes surpasses the gigantomania that afflicted the economic structures of the USSR. It will be recalled that the exorbitant cost of the mistakes made by the Soviet managerial hierarchy was one of the main reasons for the crisis of the national economy.' (pgs. 17-18)

Its no accident that a Russian leftist would take note of the reality of the so-called "neoliberal" process. It is simultaneously the affirmation and contradiction of the Schumpeterian thesis expressed in the metaphor of "gales of creative destruction", except that where Schumpeter saw this as an autonomous process of capitalist economy, today's reality reveals it as a process that requires both _initiation_ and regulation by the capitalist state all along the line. Which means also that it is not 'inevitable' and quite reversible, even by the capitalists and their states themselves.

-Brad Mayer