Nixon's the One

Rob Schaap rws at comedu.canberra.edu.au
Sat Feb 24 08:45:31 PST 2001

>Everything Dennis says is true. And still, if we got someone today to do
>what Nixon did, it would be a major, major victory for the left. I don't,
>the equivalent today of what he did then; that would be a close
>approximation to the revolution; I just mean, to do the same things as he
>did then. This tells you something about where the Dems are at today. --jks

Yeah, but Nixon did what he had to do in light of the times. Any poll-watching dork could have done most of it - indeed, would have. Watergate saved the bastard! If his tenure had survived the 1973-4 downturn, what standing he has in the eyes of yer average lefty nostalgia-buff would be very different. He'd've had to be the one to do the bidding of the desperate (if merger-mania-rejuvenated) finance sector, the feral right-wing think-tanks and the concomitant Mt Pelerin assault on economic orthodoxy, rather than messrs Peanuts and Raygun.

'Night all, Rob.