Nixon's the One

Dennis Breslin dbreslin at ctol.net
Sun Feb 25 10:07:24 PST 2001

I don't think Nixon was another Bismark or somesuch prince using the welfare state for his own ends. That comparison misses the prosaic play of the period's politics and ignores the real drama of the time. Perhaps Moynihan's ego aspired to fill the Bismark role, but he was more or less a bit player.

The expansion of the welfare state during Nixon's time was a result of pragmatic compromises with a Democratic Congress which itself was a contested setting where liberal idealism bargained with pork barrel politics over the shape and size of federal programs. It was also a time where the political center of gravity was perhaps a more moderate Republicanism which had made some peace with New Deal welfare policies and favored something like social engineering in addressing social issues. But it was indeed a period of street demonstrations - certainly over the war, but also over the environment and even over welfare. Remember the movement to organize poor people. I think Nixon was pretty much stuck with the politics he inherited and had his second administration occurred with Watergate, he would have begun to curtail even more than he did the government initiatives that grew during the sixties.

I forget what prompted Justin's comments about how compared to the present even someone like Nison might look to left-leaning. But given the tidal changes in politics, most groups have moved considerably to stay afloat. Most leftists of the past are too left-leaning for today.