worlds collide

Yoshie Furuhashi furuhashi.1 at osu.edu
Mon Feb 26 09:32:35 PST 2001

Christian says:

> >but RATM's
>>sound really kicks ass.
>
>It used to kick ass. Nothing since "Bulls on Parade" has been much
>more than a bad Clash song with stupid, pedantic lyrics. We're the
>renegades of funk, oh yeah. If you have to say it, you're not it.

When I first came to Columbus, Ohio, its "downtown" had pennants flying all over the place, proclaiming to all: "downtown." Christian's maxim -- "if you have to say it, you're not it" -- holds true, I'm afraid.

That said, it seems to me that it's common for musicians in genres such as rock, punk, hip-hop, etc. to reach their peaks early, unlike in jazz, blues, country, etc. Music for alienated youths may demand young alienated musicians. Hence disposable heroes....

BTW, what happened to Michael Franti & Rono Tse (of the Disposable Heroes of Hiphoprisy)?

Yoshie