Gore Won Florida by 29,756 votes

Brad Mayer bradley.mayer at ebay.sun.com
Tue Feb 27 09:39:50 PST 2001

A reminder that the substantive issue that provoked the 'anti-inaugural' mobilization was not the miscount of actual votes, but the widespread voter intimidation against 'undesirables', especially African-Americans, in Florida (and other states as well, although it was probably 'strategically' concentrated in Florida, for the same reason Gore picked Lieberman as his running mate).

The first issue, although of legitimate interest, is primarily of a technical nature that motivates Democratic Party professionals. The second is a civil rights issue of vital concern to ordinary people, and the fact that it happened at all, and is of no concern to either the Democratic or Republican Party hierarchies, should provoke the deepest concern of leftists.

Again, this latter issue is the only reason there was an anti-inaugural mobilization at all (however unwilling it was to militantly challenge the Bush coronation, thanks to the influence of the Democrats). Let's keep our eyes on the prize...

-Brad Mayer