BK on "identity"

Patrick Bond pbond at wn.apc.org
Tue Feb 27 22:49:04 PST 2001

Doug, to answer your last question, I'm behind on getting a manuscript off so I'm going to wait a couple of weeks before finishing my own review of the trilogy. But there's lots exciting about it, including an argument about why we don't want the same old same old nation-state, to transcend this problem of nationalism/internationalism we've been mulling over on LBO.

First, though, can we really talk about cde Boris behind his back or do you want to forward this query to him, or should I consult?

But looking more closely, aren't you twisting the logic with your intepretation? There are a confusing number of negations in the key sentence, but do you think Boris would deny that economic status isn't correlated to race? Of course it is, also in Russia. But the claim about the "reproduction" of one's racial status is a rather more limited claim. And I don't think Boris is rearguing class v identity, but rather saying that identity is mediated by class. What's wrong with that position?

Cheers, P.