Ashcroft & Race

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jan 4 05:58:14 PST 2001

On Wed, 3 Jan 2001, Max Sawicky wrote:
> The rap against Ashcroft seems to be shaping up as, he rejected Ronnie
> White because White is African- American. This seems to be a very weak
> line of argument. Maybe that's just the media vulgarization of the
> case.

I'm not sure I agree with you here, Max. The Ronnie White case, as presented, seems rhetorically quite powerful. . . .

The thrust of Herbert's column is not that Ashcroft's conduct in the White case was revealed to be racist, but it showed Ashcroft to be a political scumbag. I agree it is well put. But note Herbert's close:

. . . A Republican senator, who asked not to be identified, told me this

week that he could not justify Mr. Ashcroft's treatment of Ronnie

White, but that it would be wrong to suggest that the attack on his

nomination was racially motivated.

That may or may not be so. It would be easier to believe if Mr.

Ashcroft did not have such a dismal record on matters related to

race. . . . "

In other words, the race dimension of the White case is raised by inference, not by anything simple & explicit.

You are right to focus on the demagogic aspect of A's conduct, and with some explanation this can be related to race.

mbs