Dude, Where's My Party?

Max Sawicky sawicky at epinet.org
Thu Jan 4 06:00:11 PST 2001

There's other poop on the German Greens. They seem to be going to shit. The US Greens look very different to me, so far. Though I seem to recall that some 'green' U.S. local pols defected over RN's attack on Gore. If these people were the leading edge, that's not promising.

mbs

> From: Dennis Robert Redmond <dredmond at efn.org>
> The Greens are not "in power". They got 7% of the vote and a minority
> position with the much larger SPD, which means they can push a few issues
> against the neolibs.

Is that right? When I was in Frankfurt a month ago, I got the distinct impression that the Greens had moved into neolib land on macroeconomics.

Then on arriving back in SA, I asked what Heinrich Boell Stiftung (the Green development aid funder) was doing, and learned that without warning they had just pulled the rug out from under the best anti-neolib activist groups in South Africa (Campaign Against Neoliberalism in South Africa and Anti-Privatisation Forum).

Enlighten us, Dennis...

Patrick Bond (pbond at wn.apc.org) home: 51 Somerset Road, Kensington 2094 South Africa phone: (2711) 614-8088 work: University of the Witwatersrand Graduate School of Public and Development Management PO Box 601, Wits 2050, South Africa work email: bond.p at pdm.wits.ac.za work phone: (2711) 717-3917 work fax: (2711) 484-2729 cellphone: (27) 83-633-5548 * Municipal Services Project website -- http://www.queensu.ca/msp * to order new book: Cities of Gold, Townships of Coal -- http://store.yahoo.com/africanworld/865436126.html