Query for books about class

Eric Beck rayrena at accesshub.net
Thu Jan 4 08:45:20 PST 2001

Gordon Fitch wrote:

>So, besides _The_Hidden_
>_Injuries_of_Class_ I'm wondering if there's anything y'all
>would like to recommend, recalling that the targets may not
>be drawing much more water than Mises, Hayek & Co. at this
>time. Besides books,

Most of the books I know are U.S.-specific and examine a particular class, though they usually do so by some comparison to other classes.

*Fear of Falling, by Barbara Ehrenreich. One of my favorites, particularly the sections that show how the professional middle class "discovered" poverty and then used the poor and working class to show their own enlightenment.

*The Power Elite; White Collar; and some of the essays in Power, Politics, and People, all by C. Wright Mills. The examples are dated, but the general theories still apply.

*Blue Collars and Hard Hats, by Patricia Cayo Sexton and Brendan Sexton. A good companion to The Hidden Injuries of Class.

*The American Class System: Divide and Rule, by Kalra Paul. Haven't read it.

*Distinction, by Pierre Bourdieu

> currently available web pages

Check out the Subject Areas at SocioSite, <http://www.pscw.uva.nl/sociosite/topics/index.html>, particularly Classes, Economic Sociology, Exploitation, Inequalities, Stratification.

Eric