Query for books about class

James Heartfield Jim at heartfield.demon.co.uk
Thu Jan 4 08:39:37 PST 2001

Gordon's query interested me. I thought there was a plethora of books on class in the US: witness the following.

Michael Zweig, The Working Class Majority: America's Best Kept Secret Kevin Phillips, Politics of Rich and Poor Andrew Hacker Money Barlett and Steel: America, What went wrong?; and America, Who Sold the Dream? Cornel West and Sylvia Ann Hewlett [Can't Remember the title] William Greider, One World, Ready or Not; and Who will Tell the People? Naomi Klein, No Logo

So much so that there is a counter-literature, like Ben Wattenberg's recent books, or Cox and Alm's Myths of Rich and Poor

David Ricardo, Principle of Political Economy, especially chapters On Wages, On Profits and On Machinery.

In message <20010103222246.A29549 at panix.com>, Gordon Fitch <gcf at panix.com> writes
>I spend a certain amount of time talking to non-leftists and
>I've gotten rather tired of telling them about class. I want
>to shift the drear burden to book and article writers who,
>unlike me, acquire name, status and fortune by doing it. Many
>of my interlocutors think that class doesn't exist, or that
>class war/struggle is a fiction. So, besides _The_Hidden_
>_Injuries_of_Class_ I'm wondering if there's anything y'all
>would like to recommend, recalling that the targets may not
>be drawing much more water than Mises, Hayek & Co. at this
>time. Besides books, currently available web pages and
>magazine articles would be nice. And comic books -- yes,
>Class War Comic Books would be just the ticket.

-- James Heartfield