Ashcroft & Race

JC Helary helary at eskimo.com
Thu Jan 4 15:35:44 PST 2001

> Carrol Cox wrote:
>
> >A personal anecdote may illuminate how such terms
> >as "Bubba" and "hillbilly" help support the racist culture
> >of the U.S. (and also illustrate the way in which oppression
> >causes racism rather than racism oppression)

I am not sure i understand when you say that oppression causes racism. you mean seeing oppressed people generates a justification for the oppression that is racism ? you mean the only way i can protect myself from the oppression is to declare that i am not one of the oppressed (and thus contribute to the oppression by removing myself from the struggle?) but then my racism will cause oppression, right ?

jc helary