Mao's Poetry

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 16:40:51 PST 2001

My spouse, who reads Chinese, says that Mao's poetry isn't bad in the original, at least the early stuff. It's pretty conventional, she says, but quite able. Writing poetry is something that a persion of his class, education, and background would have been expected to do at the time. (Janis tells me.) He's no Virgil, though.

Actually it is hard to think of a great revolutionary, snce Marx, who was also a great imaginative writer. Trotsky was a great stylist, but of course he wrote nonfiction.

--jks