Kulturkampf (was: Re: Ashcroft & Race)

Michael Pugliese debsian at pacbell.net
Sat Jan 6 12:49:05 PST 2001

Gordon brings up Ho Chi Minh's poetry. I betcha the huge new biography on Ho, by William Duiker from the Free Press, might have details.

CHAPTER ONE Ho Chi Minh By WILLIAM J. DUIKER Hyperion. Read the Review. www.nytimes.com/books/first/d/duiker-ho.html

As for the tangled ideological and political relations between Maoism and the Khmer Rouge, which Carrol thinks are in a relation of non-correspondence, no (?) my cursory skim reading of such books as, "Red Brotherhood at War, " published by Verso back in 80's, David Chandler's works on Cambodian history, the Ben Kiernan and Michael Vickery volumes, Malcolm Caldwell who wrote for MR, the Bulletin of Concerned Asian Scholars journal, as well as the Journal of Contemporary Asia, Wilfred Burchett in the old Guardian, Elizabeth Becker of the Washington Post, and an interview of Soleth Sar a/k/a Pol Pot in a British Maoist magazine I have from the late 70's belie, such a simple denial. What is sending the petty-bourgeois urban intelligentsia to the countryside to toil, if not some perverse emulation of the GPCR?

Michael Pugliese