Secrets of Info Age success revealed!

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 9 20:33:17 PST 2001

I don't know whether I'm a lagging, coincident or advance indicator, folks, but since I returned to my office post-holidays, I haven't seen business so slow in the 12 years I've been here. To kill time, I was actually driven to the extremity of reading Thomas Friedman's NY Times column today (a tribute to his late high school journalism teacher). Slogging through this piece was worth it to get to the following, which is surely Friedman at his fortune-cookie-wisdom best:

"I have been thinking about [my high school teacher] Hattie a lot this year, not just because she died on July 31, but because the lessons she imparted seem so relevant now. We've just gone through this huge dot-com-Internet-globalization bubble — during which a lot of smart people got carried away and forgot the fundamentals of how you build a profitable company, a lasting portfolio, a nation state or a thriving student. It turns out that the real secret of success in the information age is what it always was: fundamentals — reading, writing and arithmetic, church, synagogue and mosque, the rule of law and good governance."

If you're a real masochist, the full text is at http://www.nytimes.com/2001/01/09/opinion/09FRIE.html

Carl