The Confederacy (was Re: questions)

Carl Remick carlremick at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:42:57 PST 2001

>I grew up in the South, not far from
>Lee Highway; the Confederate leaders are widely admired there. Indeed, Lee
>was in many ways an admirable man, buut he used his great talents for an
>evil cause.

Wrong, wrong, wrong. Everything about the Confederacy was deeply evil, include Robert E. Lee. It's high time the "noble cause" bullshit about what the Confederacy represented was expunged from the national treasury of myths. I have said here before that I think fighting the Civil War was a mistake -- that the Confederacy would have been isolated as a barbaric state among nations (as was South Africa with apartheid) and that slavery would have ended without the bloodshed caused by the Civil War, the agony of decades of postwar lynchings, or the engendering of bottomless self-pitying bitterness among white Southerners that continues to make the South a sump of glorified stupidity and reactionary politics.