The Confederacy (was Re: questions)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 08:13:19 PST 2001

I didn't say anything about a "noble cause." I said it was an evil cause. Is there some ambiguity about the work "evil" that it can mean "noble" in your vocabulary? I said Lee was "in many ways an admirable man." This is a fact about his biography. He was not a narrow fanatic like Jackson. He was not a racist killer like Forrest (later a founder of the KKK). He disapproved of slavery. He had genuine nobility. But his cause was evil, and the main regret about the war is that radical reconstruction was abandoned.

However, my point about Ashcroft is that saying nice things about Lee and Jackson doesn't make you a KKK member or sympathizer or a racist or even a neo-Confederate. It's standard issue boilerplate talk where I grew up. Now, I think it was extremely ill advised of Ashcroft to give an interview to a neo Confed mag, and _that_, not cookie cutter praise of Confederate heroes, shows that he may be tainted by actual racism as opposed to the normal blindness and indifference of any conservative Republican.

--jks