The Confederacy (was Re: questions)

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 12:03:13 PST 2001

When I started teaching at Kalamazoo College in Michigan, I referred (in my iggerant Southernfied manner) to the members of my freshman seminar as "y'all': they burst out laughing, except for one girl who said angrily, "Ah doan see whuts funny 'bout thyat." She was from Atlanta. We became friends. My Virginia accent is mostly processed into a transatlantic Ivy League Oxbridge blur with a heavy Midwestern overlay, but I still say y'all, yonder, hereabouts, much 'bliged, and suchlike, to the amusement of my kids.

--jks