Chavez and Ashcroft

Dennis Perrin/Nancy Bauer bauerperrin at mindspring.com
Wed Jan 10 11:21:47 PST 2001

>Linda Chavez as unwitting acolyte of the sanctuary movement? Let's see now
>- you "allow" someone who is at risk of deportation to stay in your house.
>Out of "gratitude" she cleans your house for you. Out of "charity" you
>occasionally throw her a few bucks. Compassion enabling hyperexploitation
>in my book.

>Michael McIntyre

Well, I wasn't being that literal-minded. I just found it interesting that Chavez took the line that she was protecting the cleaning woman from the "turmoil" in Guatemala. I don't believe her motives were so pure, but it would be a nice rhetorical/political trick to take Chavez at her word, then ask her what she thought of the sanctuary movement. I hoped David Corn would say something along these lines last night on O'Reilly's show on Fox; but he could barely get a word out, then was dismissed.

DP