rationale behind hate crimes

Justin Schwartz jkschw at hotmail.com
Wed Jan 10 14:09:26 PST 2001

Having the requisite mental state (mens rea) is a legal requirement for a crime, strict liability crimes excepted. The usual list of culpable mental states is the defendant did X: negligently, recklessly, knowingly, purposively. The list in ascending order of badness. But there is no reason to think that this classification exhausts the list of culpable mental states. "Hatefully" is a perfectly possible one.

We might want to punish (specially) bad acts done hatefully either because we thought that such acts were especially bad, or because we hoped to deter acts done from hate; maybe because we think the groups that are hated by those likely to commit such crimes need special protection.

I do not here comment on the merits of a particular law, but the objection that hate crimes legislation crimibalizes thought is misplaced; all criminal statutes do that in part because of the mens rea requirement. It creates different classes of victims, but there may be a reason to do so.

--Justin Schwartz (a lawyer)